1. Welcome to Pottstown Chat! This site is a free community project by the residents of the Pottstown area in Pennsylvania to serve as a place to talk about what is going on in our town and local areas such as Lower Pottsgrove, Limerick, Coventry and others.

Dismiss Notice

Featured German The Schnitzel House (Ala's German Restaurant) - Pottstown

Discussion in 'Dining' started by Roy Keeler, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Roy Keeler

Roy Keeler Man About Town

I ate at Ala’s German Restaurant on North Charlotte Street in Pottstown this evening for the first time. It was so good I wanted to help get the word out about this authentic German restaurant. There is nothing like Ala’s any where in the Tri-County area, that I am aware of. Our waitress was from Germany and I gathered all of most of the staff is from Germany.

The menu is fairly extensive and they do have other items besides German cuisine. There is a kids menu; sandwiches, soups and salads for lighter fare and even German Pizza :)

I ordered bratwurst which comes with sauerkraut and buttered potatoes. Our server asked if I wanted the potatoes or another side so I substituted spaetzle. I received two perfectly grilled brats along with generous portions of sauerkraut and spaetzle. Our server asked if I wanted any sauce on the spaetzle and I opted for a mushroom sauce. All this for $10.99!

My girlfriend ordered Zitronen Schnitzel. Zitronen Schnitzel has a light lemon sauce over it. You can have your choice of pork or chicken schnitzel. Pork is the traditional meat in Germany so she had pork. Shortly after we placed our order you could hear the chef pounding the pork so apparently it’s made to order. She also had a side of spaetzle. This was $11.99. She could not finish all her spaetzle.

Since I made a happy plate, I had to try a dessert crepe. The crepe was made to order and I opted for ice cream and chocolate sauce. It was delicious as well. The crepe was $5.99.

The service was good, the place is clean and the food is amazing. We are certainly going back, sooner than later, to try more items on the menu.

If this sounds like something you would be interested, please help support this local business.

The restaurant is located at: 1483 N. Charlotte St,. Pottstown, PA 19464.

Their phone number is 610-705-8881.

Website: http://www.alasrestaurant.com/index.html (The menu is on the website)

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alas-German-Restaurant/168689303316083

Two Roy’s Rants thumbs up! (y)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cindy

Cindy New Member

We ate there for the first time the other day. It was not like any other place in the area. We recommend it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kevin

Kevin Local Guy Staff Member

The food is quite good indeed! (y) Cindy & I were there this past Sunday evening and enjoyed it.

Cindy had a chicken Cordon Bleu that looked & tasted great. It was a large piece of chicken with ham & cheese covered in a light breading and cooked perfectly. Along with it she chose a side of rough mashed potatoes that were slightly fried. The potatoes were not typical mashed potatoes and not quite a hash either; think of taking a fork to a potato to mash it a bit and then lightly frying it. To accompany the chicken a lemon butter sauce was provided in a small gravy boat.

My first choice was the Schweinebraten which is a pork steak with a horseradish & mustard sauce. Unfortunately they were out of it for the evening so I went with a dish recommended by our server of beef skirt steak covered with a creamy horseradish sauce. I also chose the potatoes for a side.

Between us we split an order of Spaetzle which is a dish of egg noodles.

For dessert I went with a crepe & vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce while Cindy had a slice of pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream. About the only negative thing I can say about our visit was that the crepe should have been much thinner.

As @Roy Keeler said, the place is kept clean and the staff working were very accommodating. For anybody with nut allergies we were assured that nothing had nuts in it.

Indeed, it was a good dinner! The Chicken Cordon Blue you had looked great and is something I'll likely be trying when we go back.

4. Kevin

Ala's Restaurant has recently changed their name to The Schnitzel House in response to their most popular dishes being ordered. I've changed the name of this thread to reflect that.

5. Kevin

The Schnitzel House is moving! :eek:

They posted on Facebook that by December 1st they will be out of their current location. The new location is 181 W. Schuylkill Rd, Pottstown. Locals in the area will know the new address better as "The old Pizza Hut building on RT-724 across the street from Wawa near the RT-100 & RT-724 interchange at the Coventry Mall." ;) Right now the building is the closed Sam's Coventry Diner which never caught on.